Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Just a quick update. I am in Caye Caulker, Belize right now. I left Playa this morning and took two busses and a water taxi to get here. Belize is a place that I have wanted to visit for a very long time. We got off of the bus in Belize City and immediately jumped in a water taxi for the hour long ride over to C.C. belize has not disappointed Caye Caulker is beautiful!! The hotel is right on the bech and you can see the break from the barrier reef about a half mile or so from the beach.
I got certified for open water scuba diving while in Playa and have booked a trip for a wall dive here tomorrow.
There is a lot less boat and pedestrian traffic here than in Mexico so I thin k the dive tomorrow should be pretty amazing.
It was nice to be in Playa for so long. We arrived there on Thanksgiving Day from Merida (the capital of Yukatan.) Is was a bit of a culture shock though. We had come from places where there were very few Western tourists and influences. To the cruise ship capitol of MExico. The street vendors in Playa are more like used car salesmen than indigenous craftsmen. The main strip, Calle 5, brought countless pleas to enter shops all of which were selling the exact same crap. None the less it was felt good to be a tourist for a few days.

I really like it here in belize much more though. The mantra here is "take it slow." Unfortunately, we will only be here for one full day so taking it slow is not really an option. I have a felling that I will continue repeating this throughout my GAP trip, I wish I had more time.

Gotta go have some lobster that a local guy is grilling for me. I am headed to the jungle of San Ignacio the day after tomorrow then to Guatemala so you may not here from me for a little while.

Vagabond

3 comments:

Sisty said...

Sounds spectacular. I can't wait to see some pics when Price gets here. Talk about tourist towns! Try here in Santa Fe! At least there aren't street hawkers. I hope you're keeping the journal so we can get even more description.

Happy Birthday!!!

Pricephillips@mac.com said...

Hey Bond, Your descriptions of the places you are visiting sound wonderful. Continue having a great time. Have a Happy Birthday tomorrow! P

Sisty said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Love, Mom